Monday, June 30, 2008

Corrugated Doll Making (Quilling) - Part I

Quilling is an art of rolling strips of paper into different shapes and forming designs. It is also known as Paper Filigree. I am not sure of its origin, but I got to know about it, 3 years back, when my brother-in-law sent me these strips of paper from South Korea.

Corrugated paper strips are good for making dolls. Ordinary paper strips can be used for making greeting cards, decoration, etc, which I will be discussing after doll-making. It is fun and easy making these dolls. Click-start your imagination to make these cute dolls........

Tools Needed:
Corrugated Paper strips - different colours (each of 1cm width and 50cm length)
Glue or Adhesive (Use Fevicol adhesive, so it will be long lasting)
Plastic clips (use those we use for drying clothes)
Glitter Gum - different colours
Decorating stones (stones, bindies, etc - use your own choice)
Tweezers (optional)
A piece of cloth (to remove excess glue if any)
Sketch pens

For Face:

- Take light colour paper strips for face.
- Roll the strip, having the flat side inside. If you are not able to start, roll it on a toothpick and then remove it and tighten. Make sure it is not loosen or too tight.
- Glue it at the end and finish the circle.
- You can put the circle in between the plastic clips for 10 minutes, so that it will get hold properly. Head is ready as above.

For Ears and Nose:

- Cut small strip of paper, length of 1cm and width of 0.5cm.
- Roll it and make 2 small circles. Glue it at the end and finish the circle. Press a little, to make them flat. These will be ears.
- With the same measurement, make one more circle, glue it, and press it one end, so that it gets a triangle shape. This will be nose.
- Check the images above and glue it to the face at the correct postions.

So keep face, nose, ears ready. We will see body and hands in couple of days ;)


sowmya said...

Oh is this quilling..was looking all over singapore for a quilling going to learn from you...eagerly waiting for the next we get this paper here?

Pat caputo said...

Do you buy these "corrugated" strips as shown. Here in the USA we put them through a tool called a "crimper" to get that llok, but i have never seen corrugated strips.
Pat Caputo

Illatharasi said...

Hi Sowmya, any art in paper is generally referred as 'Quilling' art.

We are not getting corrugated paper strips here:(... but plain paper strips I got from Popular.

Illatharasi said...

Hi Pat, thanks for stopping by :) Do visit often.

I got these corrugated strips from Suwon, South Korea. Good to hear that there is a tool to get that look. Thanks for letting me know.

Yourr website is awesome. I will add urs in my blog list:)

bicks said...

hi , i wanted to learn quilling. egarly waiting for next step

notyet100 said...

new for me,..eagerly wiatin for nex step...//

Illatharasi said...

Hi Bicks, thanks for visiting my blog:) I just came to your creative crafts blog.... too wonderful. I will add that to my blogroll.... Today I will posting the next step.... so wait for some more time ;)

@ Notyet100, you can learn today;)

Karuna said...


happened to reach ur blog and i must say u r a talented person. great work!

Do bump over my blog if u get time!